Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Baby Story part2

The hospitalization continued for a few more days to ascertain that we were going to be fine and then was packed off by the doc, with meds(progesterone supplements, etc etc) and was told to take it easy for a few days….the first question I asked her then was when can I resume work…nd she said I would have to take it easy till she did the USG around 4 -5 weeks and she would then advise…So was advised loads of rest, drinking gallons of water (this was to take care of the hyperstimulation) and very little activity…Was a little crappy and nervous, plus was missing my parents badly (they weren’t expected back from the US for almost 5 months)…then my maasi (bless her) promptly packed her bags and came over to stay with us and took charge of hormonal me, harrowed hubby and home….the blood tests to monitor HCG levels continued every 3-4 days…till we did the USG….doc confirmed that all was well…it was a single pregnancy (ya..they actually use the word single, since there are huge chances of multiples…inspite of having extremely high HCG levels, which as per my own research were a sign of multiple pregnancy)…and that I could go back to work…and generally chill. So all was well….Maasi, on ensuring we would do fine, returned to her home and I got back to work and reading up on what to expect while expecting and more.

Less than 4-5 days of this bliss and one night, I woke up from sleep feeling uncomfortable, a min and I realized the sheets were wet…first thought was had I lost control of my bladder…didn’t know what was happening....a surge of fear engulfed the mind…..shook hubby awake…and asked him to switch the lights and my worst fears were confirmed….the sheets were stained…yes I was bleeding….emergency calls happened to the doc, who advised taking an injection and lying down with feet raised and not moving. Nurse was found in the middle of the night, injection hunted down, nerves were being calmed and a cluttered mind was being asked to rest. Few excruciatingly painful hours later, with no respite, doc asked me to immediately come to the hospital. I was extremely tensed, but put on a brave front and trudged to the hospital. One look at the doc and my composed self crashed and the tears just wouldn’t stop….Some gentle words later, doc did a USG and was shocked to find that I had conceived triplets and one of them was naturally disintegrating and hence the bleeding. I was immediately hospitalized and put on observation. All that I was feeling that time was a huge sense of gratitude that atleast I wasn’t going home empty-handed. And not to mention that my amateur research on HCG levels was not totally off-the-mark.


So another week of hospitalisation, ceasation of bleeding and a USG to confirm 2 healthy heartbeats later, I was home on complete bed rest. Parents flew back leaving my darling neice in the trusting hands of her daycare aunty (something for which I will never forgive myself...that bcoz of me, my neice didnt enjoy some more time with her daada - daadi), injections, medicines, routinue check-ups continued and the feeling of being preganant set in. Initial euphoria gave in to huge mood swings, anxiety, basically making life miserable for all around me...Some coped with it, some didnt. And so the next couple of months were spent with me lying sprawled on the bed staring at the ceiling, looking at the sky from my bedroom window and counting the planes that flew by..At one point I could even guess the airline from the miniscule logo that I could manage to strain my eyes and see...In hindsight it seems hilarious, but those days I would literally count the hours. I mean, ofcourse I was truly happy and all that but to lie confined to a bed day in and day out while the rest of the world would go about their business used to get lonely sometimes...how many books can u read after a point...


Oh yes, most times I would tell myself to enjoy this, coz once my little ones would be out, I would have no time to put my feet up, but to be true to my heart, there used to be those moments of self-doubt when i used to feel if i cud pull it off. To top it, for someone who had wheels on her feet, it was quite difficult getting used to it. Moreover all the images that i had built in my mind of pregnancy..food cravings, cute maternity wear, the pamperings (esp by the spouse)...had just remained that....images and my reality was slightly different...But then no pain no gain...and here I was set for a windfall, in the form of two angels. So it couldnt have been all bad.


There was one thing I was petrified of though and that was labour pains.Just the thought used to freak me out..My doc had told me that I will probably have a early delivery by a couple of weeks and there is a good chance that we go in for a c-sec, since typically for IVF twin pregnancies, they dont want any complications (being difficult and precious pregnancy and all that....ofcourse all babies are precious but thats another story). And to tell you the truth, I was pretty cool about the C-sec, much contrary to what most expectant mothers feel about the dreaded c-sec. I remember talking to a like -mined friend (who was also expecting IVF twins at the same time as me) and telling her that we have nothing to worry on the pain front, coz we would never have to go through hours and hours of labour pains... I guess I forgot never say never...Little did I know what was in store for me and my little ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Left a note